I have an extensive bucket list; master the art of bagel rolling, run a marathon, buy a ridiculously expensive handbag, become a panda… you get the idea. What’s at the top of my list is to eat and drink my way around Mexico (the nation who introduced chocolate to the world!).
I love Mexican food. The fresh, vibrant flavours always create a party atmosphere in my mouth. I don’t usually toot my horn but I make a mean guacamole! Every time we have a Mexican fiesta I am always in charge of conjuring up this delicious avocado dip. (I may even add a few drops of hot sauce to really get it going!)
As I said before, who doesn’t love a nation that bestowed the wonders of chocolate onto the world. If you haven’t already guessed by now, I am a chocolate fiend. Put this delectable food on anything and I’ll eat it (… well at least 99.9% of anything). I especially want to travel to Oaxaca, the epicenter of this glorious bean, and revel in all its goodness and taste its many forms (like mole, tejate and champurrado).
What really got me hooked on Mexican tastes was when I discovered (for me) the holy trinity of flavours, the CCC, chocolate, cinnamon and chilli (preferably a smoky chipotle chilli). The delicate dance these flavours perform together is truly a happy place for me. (If I have eaten too much, I always tell myself that each comes with their own added health benefits!).
Fuss free recipes are my fave and this is exactly what this cake is. What’s more, you get the maximum amount of flavor for least amount of fuss (whoo hoo!). I love this cake so much; I am going to try to paleo-fy it so I can enjoy it on a more regular basis, watch this space!
I found this recipe on an internet adventure a few years ago, I have searched long and hard for it again but have come up empty. If this is your recipe THANK YOU! And please contact me so I can credit you accordingly.
- 360g honey
- 40g cocoa
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1tbs vanilla extract
- 113g butter, melted
- 40g plain flour
- 12g cinnamon
- 140g plain Greek yogurt
- ½tsp chipotle chilli powder*
- 15g finely ground coffee beans
- 250ml thickened cream
- Mexican chocolate
- Preheat oven to 175ºC.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan (or a pie tin)
- Mix honey, cocoa, eggs and vanilla until no lumps. Add butter and mix until combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and mixed until combined.
- Pour cake batter into pan and bake for 30-35mins.
- Allow to cool before serving with coffee cream and crushed Mexican chocolate
- Mix coffee powder through thickened cream and refrigerate overnight.
- Place cream mix into a cold metal mixing bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Place in fridge until needed.
* You can also use cayenne pepper if you have no chipotle